Aharbal Kounsarnag Trek expedition is the only major trek in the Pir-Panjal Mountain range, a sub-mountain range of Himalayas. The trek starts from Ahabal Falls a main tourist attraction in Shopian known as the Apple Bowl of Kashmir. Kounsarnag Lake is considered a sacred lake by the hindus.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. Arduous days, steep and rocky passes and altitudes approaching 4200m all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir.
- Airport transfers (reception/ drop)
- Accommodation – 2 nights Srinagar houseboat or hotel, 5 nights tented camps
- All ground transport by private cars – airport reception and drop and from Srinagar to base camp and back
- All group camping gear/ trekking gear for trek including 2 person dome tents, sleeping mattress, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles
- Meal plan – all meals included
- Trekking permits
- Horses for carrying backpack and other items to higher camps
- English/urdu/hindi speaking local guide
- Camp crew/kitchen staff during trek
- All cooking utensils including cooking gas
- First aid
Day 1: Arrival reception at Srinagar Airport.
On arrival at Srinagar airport , you will be met by our representative who will transfer you to the houseboat. During which you will have the oppurtunity to see around Srinagar. Overnight stay.
Day 2: Srinagar – Aharbal (3 hours drive).
Left Srinagar for Aharbal 65 kms by road in a car through the apple town of Shopian. See around Aharbal water falls or have a short trek to Nilnag, a small lake covered in pine forests. Overnight stay.
Day 3: Aharbal – Kungwattan (5 hours trek).
Pack your load on the horses and start trekking ascend through pine forests and reach to the upper meadows of Kungwattan covered in by wild flowers and broad pastures therein are camped the local shepherds. Overnight stay.
Day 4: Kungwattan – Mahinag (5 hours trek).
Again early in the morning we pack up and proceed ascend through the colourfull meadows and trek through some treks of boulders and reach Mahinag Lake. Overnight stay.
Day 5: Mahinag – Kounsarnag (5 hours trek).
Start trekking towards the last destination of Kounsarnag again it passes through the clear atomosphere of these high altitude meadows and streams and along with us is flowing down the Vishu River with its roaring sound enough for one to get lost, forget everything of the past. Finally we reach to the highlight of our trek the Kounsarnag Lake. Overnight stay.
Day 6: Kounsarnag – Kungwattan (5 hours trek).
On our return we descend through Mahinag to Kungwattan. Overnight stay.
Day 7: Kungwattan – Aharbal – Srinagar (4 hours trek, 3 hours drive).
Start descending to Aharbal and 3 hours drive will take us to Srinagar. Overnight saty at huseboat.
Day 8: Departure. Drop at airport.
Our representative will drop you at Srinagar airport for departure.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 20km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4200m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C; and 4000m.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.