Naranag-Gangabal-Trek expedition is the only trek in Kashmir which remains open most of the year. The trek passes through pine forests, meadows and reaches its destination at the twin alpine lakes situated at the foothills of mount Haramukh (5300M).
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. The first hike is a steep climb through pine forest of Butsheri then a gradual walking through meadows all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir. It becomes a snow-trek in April-May and October-November and presents a unique of the Himalayas.
- Airport transfers (reception/ drop)
- Accommodation – 2 nights Srinagar houseboat or hotel, 2 nights tented camps
- All ground transport by private cars – airport reception and drop and from Srinagar to base camp and back
- All group camping gear/ trekking gear for trek including 2 person dome tents, sleeping mattress, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles
- Meal plan – all meals included
- Trekking permits
- Horses for carrying backpack and other items to higher camps
- English/urdu/hindi speaking local guide
- Camp crew/kitchen staff during trek
- All cooking utensils including cooking gas
- First aid
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative will receive you and transfer you to the houseboat at Dal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar – Sonamarg – Trunkhol (3 hrs drive/ 5 hrs trek).
After breakfast at houseboat we drive to Naranag and we pack our load on horses and start our trek. Our trail a slightly steep, passes through pine forest of Butsheri and through the meadows of Bodpathri we camp at Trunkhol for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Trunkhol – Gangabal Lake (4 hrs trek).
We leave Trunkhol meadow and walk through grassy fields. We camp at Gangabal Lake for an overnight stay. These are two lakes Gangabal and Nundkol situated at the foothills of Mount Haramukh.
Day 4: – Gangabal – Naranag. (6 hrs trek)
We leave Gangabal and Nundkol Lakes and trek through the meadows of Trunkol and descend to Naranag village through the pine forest of Bodpathri. Here ends our walking. We take our car and drive back to Srinagar houseboat for an overnight stay.
Day 5: – Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station. Departure.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition is the first part of the trek across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 10km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 5 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 3600m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at Gangabal. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.