The aim of Tulail Gangabal Trek expedition is to trek from Tulel in Gurais Valley to Naranag in Sind Valley crossing Joginai Pass (4290M). Kashmir Treks is the only local agency who lead a maiden and successful Trek-Expedition of Levison Wood’s Walking the Himalayas through this hidden valley of Kashmir in 2015 summer. Being the organizers of the trek, acquiring trek-permits was the most challenging part the trek; as the base camp lies close to the Line of Control. Kashmir Treks started an era opening this trek for many to come.
Gurez Valley is the beautiful amalgamation of mountains, valley and a river. It is a valley deep located in the high Himalayas, about 86 km from Bandipora near Wular Lake and 133 km from Srinagar in northern part of Jammu and Kashmir. Gurez was part of ancient Dardistan, stretching from Sharada Peeth in the west, Minimarg over Burzil Pass in the north, Drass in the east, and Baghtor in the south. The Gurez Valley falls along the section of the ancient Silk Route, which connected the Kashmir Valley with Gilgit continuing further to Kashgar. At present, the valley is divided by the Line of Control between India and Pakistan, Minimarg along with the Burzil Pass lies in Pakistani side and Dawar and Tulail lies in Indian side.
What’s included in the Price?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 5 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear including tents, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid.
What’s not included in the Price?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative will receive you and transfer you to the houseboat at Dal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar – Tulail (6 hrs drive). We leave early in the morning take a car drive to Tulail Gurez. The drive itself is an adventure. We drive along with Jehlum River and Wular Lake and arrive Bandipora. From there we drive through a Hill station of Tragbal and cross Razdan Pass to enter Gurez Valley. Driving through the remote villages we arrive Badogam in Tulel. We camp at the river bank for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Badogam – Joginai (6 hours trek). We pack our load on horses and start our trek. Our trail a slightly steep, passes through a pine/ birch forest and meadows at Butimali. A gradual descend we again start ascending to Joginai for an overnight stay.
Day 4: – Joginai – Satsar Lakes – Megandoab (6 hrs trek). We leave Joginai and immediately start ascending the highest pass of the trek the Joginai Pass (4290m). We ascend it down to reach Jawdara. After crossing a stream we enter into the Rasbal Valley where a flowing river disappears underground. We continue our trek through seven small lakes of Satsar and camp at Megandoab at the foothills of the second pass of Zajibal for an overnight stay.
Day 5: – Satsar – Gangabal lake (6 hrs trek). We ascend the last and the highest pass of our trek ‘Zajibal Pass (4180m)’. We forget all our tiredness when reaching atop because of the views, scenery it provides. We see Mount Haramukh (5300m) just standing at our face and at its footsteps lie the twin beautiful alpine lakes of Gangabal and Nundkol. We descend it to reach Gangabal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 6: – Day at leisure. Discover the twin lakes of Gangabal and Nundkol or have a short walk to Kolesar Lake.
Day 7: – Gangabal – Naranag (6 hrs trek). We leave Gangabal and Nundkol Lakes and trek through the meadows of Trunkol and descend to Naranag village through the pine forest of Bodpathri. Here ends our walking. We take our car and drive back to Srinagar houseboat for an overnight stay.
Day 8: – Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station. Departure.
What to Carry?
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 16km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4100m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.
Join Our Short Trekking Courses
The aim of our trekking courses is to make you familiar with the basics of trekking, adjust yourself with the climate and prepare you to ascend the altitude. We offer three different courses. Each course is designed in levels so that the best can suite you, instructed by our experienced trekking staff.
- 5 days trekking course at Gulmarg..
- 10 days trekking course at Pahalgam
- 15 days trekking course at Sonamarg.