Kolahoi Glacier Trek is a crossover trek from Sind Valley into the Lidder Valley passing Basmai Pass (4300m). The trek passes through high altitude alpine lakes situated at the foothills of Mount Kolahoi (5425m), the highest mountain peak of the Vale of Kashmir. It crosses streams and plenty of colorful meadows..
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. Arduous days, steep and rocky passes and altitudes approaching 4300m all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir.
What’s included in the Price?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 4 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear included: tents, toilet tent, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid including Medical Oxygen Cylinder.
What’s not included in the Price?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative will receive you and transfer you to the houseboat at Dal Lake or Hotel for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar-Gagangir (2 hours drive)-Basmai (7 hours trek). Reception at Srinagar airport and drive to Gagangir Sonamarg. We pack our load and backpack on horses and start our trek through pine forest and meadows. We camp at Basmai meadow for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Basmai-Basmai Lake (7 hours trek). We start ascending Basmai Pass (4300m) the highest point of our trek and desend towards the Lake of its name for an overnight stay.
Day 4: – Basmai Lake-Kolahoi-Satlanjan (7 hours trek). We trek through meadows and explore the Kolahoi Glacier before heading down to Satlanjan meadow for an overnight stay.
Day 5: – Satlanjan-Lidderwat (7 hours trek). We trek to Lidderwat under the towering heights of Kolahoi Peak (5425m) through meadows, we camp at Lidderwat for an overnight stay.
Day 6: – Lidderwat – Aru (5 hours trek) – Srinagar (3 hours drive). We trek down to Aru Valley following Lidder River through Pine and Birch forests and take a car drive back to Srinagar via Pahalgam for an overnight stay at the Houseboat or Hotel.
Day 7: – Departure day. Our representative will drop you at Srinagar airport or bus station for departure.
What to Carry?
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 17km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4200m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.
Join Our Short Trekking Courses
The aim of our trekking courses is to make you familiar with the basics of trekking, adjust yourself with the climate and prepare you to ascend the altitude. We offer three different courses. Each course is designed in levels so that the best can suite you, instructed by our experienced trekking staff.
- 5 days trekking course at Gulmarg..
- 10 days trekking course at Pahalgam
- 15 days trekking course at Sonamarg.