Naranag-Gangabal-Mahlish-Trek expedition is the only trek in Kashmir with a different return-route which remains open most of the year. The trek passes through pine forests, meadows and reaches its destination at the twin alpine lakes situated at the foothills of mount Haramukh (5300M). The return route is through Kolesar Lake situated at an altitude of 3800 meters.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. The first hike is a steep climb through pine forest of Butsheri then a gradual walking through meadows all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir. It becomes a snow-trek in April-May and October-November and presents a unique view of the Himalayas.
What’s included in the package?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 3 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear included: tents, toilet tent, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid including Medical Oxygen Cylinder.
What’s not included in the package?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative will receive you and transfer you to the hotel or houseboat at Dal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar – Naranag – Trunkhol (3 hrs drive/ 5 hrs trek). After breakfast at houseboat we drive to Naranag and we pack our load on horses and start our trek. Our trail a slightly steep, passes through pine forest of Butsheri and through the meadows of Bodpathri we camp at Trunkhol for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Trunkhol – Gangabal Lake (4 hrs trek). We leave Trunkhol meadow and walk through grassy fields. We camp at Gangabal Lake for an overnight stay. These are two lakes Gangabal and Nundkol situated at the foothills of Mount Haramukh.
Day 4: – Gangabal – Kolesar – Mahlish (4 hours trek). Leaving Gangabal Lake we walk through meadows and reach Kolesar Lake. We continue further and trek to Mahlish meadow for an overnight stay. Mahlish meadow is a best camping ground overlooking the Sind Valley.
Day 5: – Mahlish – Chaturgul – Srinagar (4 hours trek, 3 hours drive). We leave Mahlish and trek down to Chaturgul through the meadows and descend through a pine forest to Chaturgul village. Here ends our walking. We take our car and drive back to Srinagar hotel or houseboat for an overnight stay.
Day 6: – Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station. Departure.
What To Carry?
Clothes/ Personal Items
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition is the first part of the trek across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 10km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 5 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 3600m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at Gangabal. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.
Join Our Short Trekking Courses
The aim of our trekking courses is to make you familiar with the basics of trekking, adjust yourself with the climate and prepare you to ascend the altitude. We offer three different courses. Each course is designed in levels so that the best can suite you, instructed by our experienced trekking staff.
- 5 days trekking course at Gulmarg..
- 10 days trekking course at Pahalgam
- 15 days trekking course at Sonamarg.