The aim of Kashmir Great Lakes expedition is to trek from Sonamag to Naranag via Nichnai Pass. The Great Lakes as the name suggests treks through many high altitude alpine lakes situated at the foothills of different snowy mountain peaks. It crosses streams, plenty of colorful meadows and crosses three mountain passes.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. Arduous days, steep and rocky passes and altitudes approaching 4200m all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir.
What’s included in the Price?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 5 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear included: tents, toilet tent, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian/ non-vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid including Medical Oxygen Cylinder.
What’s not included in the Price?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative cum driver will receive you and transfer you to the houseboat at Dal Lake or Hotel at Srinagar for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar – Sonamarg – Nichnai (3 hrs drive/ 5 hrs trek). After breakfast at houseboat we drive to Sonamarg “the meadow of gold’ along picturesque Sind river. At Shitksri we pack our load on horses and start our trek. Our trail a slightly steep, passes through the meadows and enters a pine/ birch forest at Shokdari before the vast and long Nichnai meadow which is our camping ground for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Nichnai – Vishnasar – Krishansar Lake (6 hrs trek). We leave Nichnai meadow and immediately start ascending one of the three passes of the trek the Nichnai Pass (4000m). We ascend it through long grazing pastures sheep. After crossing the pass we enter into the Vishansar Valley “the valley medicinal plants”, we descend gradually through the alpine flower valley and camp at Vishansar Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 4: – Krishansar – Gadsar (6 hrs trek). After discovering Vishansar Lake we head towards its sibling the Krishansar Lake which lies just over a ridge. We take its eastern shore to ascend the second and the highest pass of the trek the Gadsar Pass (4200m). On the top of the pass we have the aerial view of the whole Vishansar valley among it are situated the twin lakes of Vishansar and Krishansar “the source of Neelam River”. We descend through Gadsar valley and lakes and camp at Kustoor Kout for an overnight stay.
Day 5: – Gadsar – Satsar Lakes – Megandoab (5 hrs trek). We ascend Kostur Kout leaving Gadsar valley and enter the meadow of Rasbal. It’s the Rasbal where a flowing river disappears underground. We continue our trek through seven small lakes of Satsar and camp at Megandoab at the foothills of the third pass of Zajibal for an overnight stay.
Day 6: – Satsar – Gangabal lake (6 hrs trek). We ascend the last pass of our trek ‘Zajibal Pass (4180m)’. We forget all our tiredness when reaching atop because of the views, scenery it provides. We see Mount Haramukh (5300m) just standing at our face and at its footsteps lie the twin beautiful alpine lakes of Gangabal and Nundkol. We descend the pass and reach Gangabal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 7: – Gangabal – Naranag. (6 hrs trek) We leave Gangabal and Nundkol Lakes and trek through the meadows of Trunkol and descend to Naranag village through the pine forest of Bodpathri. Here ends our walking. We take our car and drive back to Srinagar houseboat or hotel for an overnight stay.
Day 8: – Departure day. Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station. Departure.
What to Carry?
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 17km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4200m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.
Join Our Short Trekking Courses
The aim of our trekking courses is to make you familiar with the basics of trekking, adjust yourself with the climate and prepare you to ascend the altitude. We offer three different courses. Each course is designed in levels so that the best can suite you, instructed by our experienced trekking staff.
- 5 days trekking course at Gulmarg..
- 10 days trekking course at Pahalgam
- 15 days trekking course at Sonamarg.