Sonamarg-Vishansr-Trek expedition is a part and the first leg of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek. The trek passes through pine and birch forests of Shokdari and meadows of Nichnai. The highest point of the trek is Nichnai Pass (4100M) which is crossed to reach the destination at the trek at the twin alpine lakes of Vishansar and Krishansar.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. The first hike is a steep climb through pine forest of Butsheri then a gradual walking through meadows all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir. It becomes a snow-trek in May-June and October-November and presents a unique view of the Himalayas.
What’s included in the package?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 3 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear included: tents, toilet tent, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits
- First Aid including Medical Oxygen Cylinder.
What’s not included in the package?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
Day 1: – Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport/bus station.
On arrival at Srinagar airport or bus station , our representative will receive you and transfer you to the houseboat at Dal Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 2: – Srinagar – Sonamarg – Nichnai (3 hrs drive/ 5 hrs trek). After breakfast at houseboat we drive to Sonamarg “the meadow of gold’ along picturesque Sind river. At Shitksri we pack our load on horses and start our trek. Our trail a slightly steep, passes through the meadows and enters a pine/ birch forest at Shokdari before the vast and long Nichnai meadow which is our camping ground for an overnight stay.
Day 3: – Nichnai – Vishnasar – Krishansar Lake (6 hrs trek). We leave Nichnai meadow and immediately start ascending one of the three passes of the trek the Nichnai Pass (4000m). We ascend it through long grazing pastures sheep. After crossing the pass we enter into the Vishansar Valley “the valley medicinal plants”, we descend gradually through the alpine flower valley and camp at Vishansar Lake for an overnight stay.
Day 4: – Vishansar – Shokdari (5 hours trek). Leaving Vishansar Lake we walk through meadows and cross Nichnai Pass. We continue further and trek through Nichnai meadow and reach Shokdari for an overnight stay.
Day 5: – Shokdari – Sonamarg – Srinagar (4 hours trek, 3 hours drive). We leave Shokdari and trek down to Sonamarg through the meadows. Here ends our walking. We take our car and drive back to Srinagar houseboat for an overnight stay.
Day 6: – Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station. Departure.
What To Carry?
Clothes/ Personal Items
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition is the first part of the trek across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 10km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 5 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 3600m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at Gangabal. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.
Join Our Short Trekking Courses
The aim of our trekking courses is to make you familiar with the basics of trekking, adjust yourself with the climate and prepare you to ascend the altitude. We offer three different courses. Each course is designed in levels so that the best can suite you, instructed by our experienced trekking staff.
- 5 days trekking course at Gulmarg..
- 10 days trekking course at Pahalgam
- 15 days trekking course at Sonamarg.